Motherwort ~ Leonurus cardiaca
Motherwort is a lovely plant ally to have in the garden, she grows tall and strong and is an impressive matriarch. Not only that but her nurturing side comes out with her medicinal qualities, from heart to hormones. 🌿All my plants are grown organically.
Motherwort plants for sale in NZ
- Price; $6.50
- Size; 9cm pot, grows to 1700mm
- Growth Type; Perennial crown herb
- Climate; Any
- Exposure; Full sun, can handle a bit of wind
- Soil; Any
- Tip; Self seeds readily. Harvest when it is in flower, or leave for the bees~ they love the flower, hard to be absolutely sure but produces a dark honey (I’m judging from my own honey crop). Take mind that the flowers and resulting seeds are very spikey, I suggest welding gloves if you choose to process the herb after drying.
- Parts Used; Leaf and flower
- Medicinal Actions and Uses; Sedative, emmenagogue, anti-spasmodic, cardiac tonic, hepatic, nervine.
“The names of this plant shows its range of uses. ‘Motherwort’ shows its relevance to menstrual and uterine conditions whilst ‘cardiaca’ indicates its use in heart and circulation treatments. It is valuable in the stimulation of delayed or suppressed menstruation, especially where there is anxiety or tension involved. It is a useful relaxing tonic for aiding menopausal changes. It may be used to ease false labour pains. It is an excellent tonic for the heart, strengthening without straining. It is specific for over rapid heart beat where this is brought about by anxiety and other such causes. It may be used in all heart conditions that are associated with anxiety and tension.”David Hoffman (From the book, Complete Illustrated Guide to The Holistic Herbal)
Links for more information
Related posts + products
Disclaimer; The content on this website is not intended as a medical reference but as a source of information. I, SandRa Timmins (she), am not a qualified herbalist and recommend you see your GP or holistic practitioner before dabbling in herbal remedies especially for; serious/chronic conditions, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, if you are already taking pharmaceuticals. Treat herbal remedies with respect, they can be powerful.