Purple sage ~ Salvia officinalis ‘Purpurascens’
A wonderful sage that fulfils all your medicinal and culinary needs as well as having lovely purple and green leaves. What’s not to like? It’s a wee bit hardier (to cold and wet) than Common Sage and can grow bigger. but apart from those two things (and obviously colour) it is just like Common Sage. 🌿All my herbs are grown organically.
Purple Sage for sale in NZ
- Price; $7.00 (Out of Stock)
- Size; 9 cm, grow to 800mm
- Growth Type; Woody perennial
Growing Purple Sage
- Climate; Any
- Exposure; Full sun and can handle a bit of wind. Drought hardy
- Soil; Reasonably fertile and free draining
- Tips; Harvest/prune at least once a year to keep it from getting leggy.
Using Purple Sage
- Parts Used; Leaves
- Medicinal Actions and Uses; Carminative, spasmolytic, astringent, anti-hidrotic, anti-catarrhal, anti-microbial, emmenagogue, febrifuge, stimulant. And of course culinary. It is an essential herb for the home herbalist, see links for uses. DO NOT USE MEDICINALLY IF PREGNANT.
Links for more information
Related Posts and Products
DISCLAIMER; The content on this website is not intended as a medical reference but as a source of information. I, SandRa Timmins (she), am not a qualified herbalist and recommend you see your GP or holistic practitioner before dabbling in herbal remedies especially for; serious/chronic conditions, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, if you are already taking pharmaceuticals. Treat herbal remedies with respect, they can be powerful.