Southernwood ~ Artemisia abrotanum
AKA; Lad’s Love, Old Man, Boy’s Love, Appleringie, Garde Robe
Southernwood with its feathery green leaves is a lovely wee bush to have with its camphor type scent. Southernwood was traditionally planted at the gate so you could pick a sprig (or a whole branch) on your way to church and put it in your buttonhole, apparently it helped to keep you awake! Also has been known as a key ingredient in love potions (see AKA names!). I’ve found a lot of people buy this plant for its sentimental value, having once had it in a garden that is no longer theirs. 🌿All my plants are grown organically.
Southernwood plants for sale in NZ
- Price; $8.00
- Size; 9cm pot, grows to 1500mm
- Growth Type; Woody perennial
- Climate; Any
- Exposure; Full sun, can handle wind, drought tolerant
- Soil; Any, free draining
- Tips; Prune in spring for a lovely bushy plant. Slightly deciduous in cooler climates. Good companion plant for apricot trees.
- Parts Used; Leaves
- Medicinal Actions and Uses; Tonic, emmenagogue, anthelmintic, antiseptic, deobstruent.
Disclaimer; The content on this website is not intended as a medical reference but as a source of information. I, SandRa Timmins (she), am not a qualified herbalist and recommend you see your GP or holistic practitioner before dabbling in herbal remedies especially for; serious/chronic conditions, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, if you are already taking pharmaceuticals. Treat herbal remedies with respect, they can be powerful.