Sweet Violet ~ Viola odorata
AKA; Sweet-Scented Violet
What a scent these shy flowers emit! A lovely plant to have hiding in your shady spots.
Sweet Violet plants for sale in NZ
- Price; $5.50 (currently out of stock)
- Size; 9cm pot, grows to 70mm
- Growth Type; Expanding clump herb
Growing Sweet Violet
- Climate; Any
- Exposure; semi-shade
- Soil; Any, but does need to have sufficient moisture
- Tip; A very low maintenance plant that will look after its own, even finding it’s own ideal places to grow! Slowly but steadily she will spread.
Using Sweet Violet
- Parts Used; Leaves and flowers dried, whole plant fresh
- Medicinal Actions and Uses; Expectorant, alterative, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, anti-neoplastic. Medicinally (coughs, upper respiratory catarrh, skin conditions, cancer treatment). The leaves can be eaten as a salad herb or put in pesto (see links below).
Links for more information
- A bit of history and uses, Homegrown Botanica