White Sage ~ Salvia apiana
AKA; Bee Sage, Sacred Sage, Californian White Sage, Buffalo Sage
An extremely sacred herb to the Chumash people of California. And very strong! This plant with its highly scented grey green foliage is native to the southwestern region of the US and north-western Mexico. The seeds of White Sage were a main ingredient of pinole a staple food for Native American groups on the Pacific Coast. A tea from the roots was used by the Chuilla women for healing and strength after childbirth…. And of course like any self-respecting hippy should know, the dried leaves are used as smudge sticks (I prefer the term “smoke cleansing wands”) for purification and/or rituals. Great for when you’re moving into a new house. Just make sure the leaves were harvested sustainably -better yet, grow your own! 🌿All my plants are grown organically.
- Price; $10.00 (WAIT LIST IS AT CAPACITY SORRY and the nursery is closing down) White sage is one of most sought after plants, when I’m out of stock you may request to go on my “White sage email list” . This is so I can tell you when the plants are ready plus any other information I feel is relevant. There is a cap of 4 plants per customer. May I just outline that by going on my white sage email list, I am not taking your order, I am merely taking your details so I can contact you when the plants will be available. Not all my plants are ready at the same time so I do work through the list methodically. Generally plants become available from Dec- Feb. Take mind I cannot guarantee that I will have plants any next season as one cannot guarantee anything when you don’t have full control of your product, i.e. Mother Nature might have other plans and none of my seeds germinate or a great gust of wind knocks all my seedlings over!
- Size; 9cm pot, grows to 1500mm
- Growth Type; Woody perennial
Growing White Sage
- Climate; Any, though it thrives in a dry environment, frost hardy
- Exposure; Full sun, sheltered from excessive rain
- Soil; Free draining is imperative
- Tips; See Related Posts
Using White Sage
- Parts Used; All parts, but mainly the leaves
- Medicinal Actions and Uses; Anti-fungal, anti-biotic, anti-inflammatory, calming, deodorising, febrifuge. Smoke cleansing.
Links for more information
- Root Simple; https://www.rootsimple.com/2011/09/salvia-means-salvation-white-sage/
- Please, do read this article here.. Lets Talk About White Sage
- How to Grow White Sage
- Cultivating Smoke Cleansing Sticks
Special Note on White Sage;
I get asked a lot if I sell the seed of white sage (Salvia apiana) and I do not. Reasons being that the seeds have an inherently low germination rate, so, 1) I need all that I have to fulfil the demand for white sage plants, and 2) I don’t want you coming back to me saying only two of your seeds germinated…and then died with transplant shock!